WTD "What's the deal?" – A Transnational Project on Young Urban Cultures …

Blog

5. November 2014

Designing for the other 90% – Luc van Hoeckel & Pim van Baarsen

by Susanne    Filed under: Amsterdam,Design,Research Reports,VIDEOSComments Off on Designing for the other 90% – Luc van Hoeckel & Pim van Baarsen

In our fifth video report: young social designers Luc van Hoeckel and Pim van Baarsen. Why work for the meager 10% who can afford to buy design, if you can also make a difference for the other 90%? That is what product designers Luc van Hoeckel and Pim van Baarsen are aiming for. Solving problems and making life easier is what makes work interesting for these designers. Since Europe is already awash with designers, they venture to developing countries to find creative solutions for local problems. Exchanging knowledge and cooperation are central in their style of work. According to them, sustainability is coming towards our current needs without harming future generations. Designers have the task to explain to consumers what the word ‘sustainability’ actually means, now that is has become such a popular word.

In the beginning of 2015 Coolpolitics/Lokaalmondiaal will be curating an extensive program on design and sustainability in Amsterdam.

Designing for the other 90% – Luc van Hoeckel & Pim van Baarsen from What’s the deal? on Vimeo.
lucvanhoeckel.nl/pimvanbaarsen.com

WHAT'S THE DEAL


wtd.kult@muenchen.de
© WTD 2014
Imprint
With the support of